Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
Healthy Food Supplying Calcium, Trace Minerals, and a Lower Cancer Risk
Although this version of broccoli cheese soup is particularly tasty during the cold winter months, its easy to enjoy year round. As with all my recipes, I try to stick to organic fare and leave plenty of room for experimentation. Serves 10 - 15, depending on appetite.
- 1 broccoli crown, about 8 inches across, chopped
- 1/2 lb. sausage, either the ground breakfast type, or diced
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 7 large mushrooms, chopped
- 2 serrano peppers, chopped
- 48 oz. homemade chicken stock if possible, store-bought broth otherwise
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 lb. Velveeta cheese, cubed (thats half of a large block)
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup corn starch
- Sautè the sausage, onion, and garlic in a large stockpot just until the onion is soft. If your sausage isnt oily enough, add a bit of olive oil.
- Stir in the broccoli.
- Add in the chicken stock or broth.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cheese.
- Stir in the milk.
- Using a whisk and a small bowl, dissolve the corn starch in the water and pour into the stockpot.
- Simmer, stirring often, until thick.
- Thats it; serve it up! I like to break up a slice of whole wheat bread, put it in the bottom of the bowl, and ladle the soup over it. But thats just me!
Health Benefits of this Soup
Obviously, theres a lot of calcium involved here with the cheese and milk. If you have time to make the chicken stock, your joints will benefit from the gelatin released from the bones during cooking; with store-bought broth you cant know what you are getting.
Chicken stock has also been shown to reduce and shorten the symptoms of the common cold. Broccoli? It provides plenty of potassium, vitamin C, vitamin K, and beta-carotene. Trace minerals like as zinc and selenium are abundant, furthering immune defense actions.
Onions high sulfur content are thought to be of special benefit to connective tissues. Its antioxidants provide anti-inflammatory benefits. The garlic is thought to lower the risk of breast, colon, esophageal, pancreatic, and stomach cancer.
Articles Others are Reading
- Organic Apple Sauce Recipe
- Easy Whole Wheat High Fiber Pizza Crust
- Build a Raised Bed Vegetable Garden
- Is Your Mineral Intake Adequate?
Website © 2012 KSmith Media, LLC; all rights reserved.